What is Carbon monoxide?
It is an odorless, colorless, tasteless and highly toxic gas that is made when fuels such as wood, gasoline, charcoal and oil are burned with inadequate air. The majority of fatalities occur with heating systems, engine powered tools and charcoal grills. Carbon monoxide is harmful when inhaled because it displaces oxygen in the blood and deprives the heart, brain and other vital organs of oxygen. Large amounts of CO can overcome a person in minutes without warning—causing them to lose consciousness and suffocate.
How can you Stay Protected?
Some precautions you can take to say protected from carbon monoxide poising are as followed.
– Don’t use a charcoal grills, camp stoves, generators, gasoline or charcoal burning devices inside your basement, home, or near a window.
– Make sure to turn your car off upon entering a garage attached to your home and don’t run the vehicle in the garage even with the door open as gases can leak inside the home still.
– Avoid attempting to heat your house with an gas oven.
– Avoid burning anything in a fireplace or stove that does not have proper ventilation.
– Make sure to install a battery operated CO detector in your home. You can find certain alarm systems that will allow you to use wireless backup battery operated CO detectors that can even have a central alarm monitoring company dispatch the fire department if carbon monoxide is detected. Try to change the battery two times per year along with weekly testing of your CO detector.
– Make sure items such as heating system, water heater, gas, oil, or coal burning appliances are inspected annually.
Carbon Monoxide Monitoring Systems